September has been a blast! The Accordion Noir fest was a winner (isn’t it always, though?) — in promotions it was nice hearing ourselves described as “festival favorites” on the CBC’s North by Northwest, and if you like you can find a link to (and, ahem, extensive analysis of) the debut of our interactive choose-your-own-adventure song suite performed over here. (Note: performance recording is not interactive.) Then we played a special dance set for Planks alumnus Venus Soberanes at the local reception for her wedding with Jeremy at the Little Mountain Studio, rounding out a variety show spiked with Al Mader himself! Hopefully we will be manifesting at the Horace Phair party this Columbus Day, but we’re getting a bit beyond the scope of this post — which is about our next public local gig you can enjoy!
You are cordially invited to the Spookeasy HallowSwing Cabaret party on Friday Oct. 25th, a Prohibition era-themed Halloween Party!
It’s time to heed the bell’s toll for ghastly, ghoulish and grim Halloween partying with Vancouver’s Electro Swing Clubr.
Come in your best retro-horror garb: top hat & tails, flapper, Victorian asylum lunatics, boudoir, silent horror film characters, Carnivale freaks, steampunk, horror circus, Satanic burlesque, Voodoo, Day of the Dead, hospital horror, haunted forest animals, evil clowns, Halloween masks… etc.
In the Cabaret room:
* Every time the Tim Sars Band plays a show, they know it might be their last. While the band is swingin’ hot, the lyrics always seem to go to the dark side. The very talented Brendan Krieg on drums and vocals, Roisin Adams on piano and vocals, and Russell Sholberg on bass are complicit in Tim’s evil musical plot, and those on the dance floor shall be the victims. During their set we’ll have a Hot Beat Swing Dance and Black Bottom Stomp performances.
* Burlesque retro ghost number by Riannaconda
* Sword-swallowing sideshow by Kata Sita, Human BlockHead, Bug eating and more… If this performance doesn’t give you goosebumps nothing will!!!
* Haunted Go-Go Flapper Girls
* VooDoo DJs: From Montreal, Speakeasy Electro Swing gang Eliazar Hason. From the Island – AppleCat and local crew Rudy.
* In the Hideaway Room we’ll have 3 bands: The Creaking Planks, Meg A Tron and Sound Architecture:
The jug band of the damned, the Creaking Planks, salvage festering songs from the mass grave of popular music, binding their festering choruses together with a thread spun from extinct instruments, making them move once again by perversely introducing the strange spark of life.
* In the Tiki room, we’ll have the bad boys SideShow, Doe Ran and DJ Spaz. They’re guaranteed to rattle your bones… and reanimate your zombie hearts It won’t mean a thing until the zombies start to swing!
Also expect the visuals to captivate and twist your mind with images from the past and future blended together in one cocktail.